Thursday, October 4, 2018

2018, Far better than expected

Ummmm, it's really been a year since I last posted. I suck! I was reading my last blog recapping my 2017 Finish at the XTERRA Fort Custer for 2018 points where I finished 3rd after being bested by Megan James (outstanding runner) less than a mile from the finish. I tongue-in-cheek blamed it on the decaf coffee I unknowingly consumed before the race costing me the 10 second difference between 2nd and 3rd place. That's the kind of operation they're running at Alan Moore's Driftwood Inn. But I jest.

Wowza, what a year. If I could sum it up in just one word or how about one phrase it would be Daring Greatly. Yes, like the famous Theodore Roosevelt speech sometimes referred to as "The Man in the Arena." It's probably my favorite speech.

"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of his achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly . . . "

I watched so many of my friends Dare Greatly. From my wonderful husband Al to the athletes that we coach. 2018, although tumultuous for me personally had ended up to be so life altering in so many ways.

Surprisingly, I was named 2018 Ms. XTERRA as someone who embodies the "Live More" philosophy. I was of course the last to know. Funny, I should have been suspect of the video crew following my every move for two days while preparing for the XTERRA PanAm Championship in Ogden. But, I bit the line, you know, the one about the film crew profiling female cyclists, I was one of many, or so they said. And why wouldn't I believe that?



So I've included a link to the tribute video and article. They did a fantastic job and I still can't believe it is me that now has my name permanently affixed to the biggest traveling trophy I've ever seen...

2018 Ms. XTERRA Tribute Video

There was some other really good shit that happened this year too. I was appointed to Battalion Chief for the FD I love and work for.

I did a few crazy gravel races including a 150 mile jaunt through Lincoln, Nebraska with a measly 10K of climbing. And I watched my husband and friend Brad devour a fetus sized burrito a few weeks back. It was both disturbing and equally impressive. They both had stellar races the following day. I've enlarged the photo to better illustrate the girth of the burrito.

I think this year was all about Daring Greatly. When you put yourself out there sometimes . . . most times you fail but every so often you shine, you burn so brightly. But you are never alone, when you find success it's always because there are those in your life that supported you and lift you higher than you can stand on your own two feet. For those humans in my life I am grateful. I love you

Cheers,
Kristen


No comments:

Post a Comment